Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
Miss Piggy
When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
Bernard Bailey

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Odyssey of the Mind competition






I just returned from a long bus trip to Berlin and back. Judy Sweeney talked me into being a coach this year and I've experienced some ups and downs with my group of 6th graders. But, my team won first place!! I can take no credit for all their hard work and creativity. In fact, a couple of times they got exasperated with me because I made them practice spontaneous problems and they felt this was wasting their time! We now qualify for the World Finals in Ames, Iowa at the end of May - I can hardly wait (yes, I'm being a bit sarcastic). But, the kids were so excited by their win in Berlin that I don't think I can tell them "No" at this point.

My team chose a problem in which they had to create and perform a 13th lost labor of Hercules. They decided that between the classic 11th and 12th labors, Hercules had to battle the Monster of the Timeless Time (half snake and half man). And, anyone who didn't drink a special potion provided by a priestess of Zeus would forget the monster ever existed upon its death. So, of course, Hercules was the only who drank the potion so the labor was lost in history :)


We stayed at a youth hostel on the shores of Lake Wannsee which was very beautiful. Friday and Saturday were very sunny but our luck didn't hold as Sunday dawned rainy and gray.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wannsee



















On a more depressing (historical) note, this villa on the shores of the lake was where the "Final Solution" conference was held. It wasn't far from our hostel and, I must admit, the thought left me a little disturbed during my stay.

No comments: