I just came back from my first doctor's appointment here in Deutschland - and of course, I waited for the biggie... the gynecologist!! Luckily, I had been forewarned that German doctors are more "blunt" or "straightforward" about things, so it wasn't too much of a shock.
Jessica had been to many doctors while she was here and I knew that some receptionists/nurses had little patience with those who don't speak German well. However, we met many who did. I was in the latter category today. The two young ladies who checked me in and gave me the "new patient" packet to fill out were very kind and helpful. They never switched to English but were patient with my poor Deutsch. I even had Zizou with me in the waiting room (where he had to stay during my appointment) and the front desk gals kept an eye on him for me.
The nurse took me into the examination room and we spoke a mixture of English/German but she finally switched mostly to German (not sure if she was exasperated with me OR just wanted to get on with things). She took my blood pressure and asked some pretty typical questions - When did I have my first bleeding? (I assumed she meant 'period') When did I have my last bleeding? and so on.
The doctor, Dr. Konig (or "King") came in and she was wonderful. A friend recommended her and promised she could speak English which she did. I know I'm in Germany and must learn to communicate in German BUT it is very nice when you have a doctor you can talk to easily! We talked about my breasts for awhile ;) as I had my mammogram results and film with me from America. She explained that (in Germany) mammograms are not required now until age 50! They used to recommend the first one done between 35 and 40 but they have changed that (unless there is a history of problems in the family). So, I stopped feeling so guilty that it had been FOUR years since my last mammogram and pap smear. She wasn't acting superior or anything - it is hard to explain. But I felt like she was kindly and patiently explaining something to a dense child and, since I was already there, she would go ahead and do the normal breast exam.
This is where the mild "culture shock" came in - but I was somewhat prepared (as I said before). Dr. Konig told me to take off my shirt as she was typing away on her computer and looking at the film I'd brought. "Right now?" "Yes, everything!' So I stripped off my upper layers and stood in front of her with my hands on my hips. She proceeded to give me the MOST thorough breast exam I've EVER had! After which, I felt exonerated a bit! She ended up recommending I go to a radiologist for that mammogram after all - I have very lumpy breasts (as I tried to explain to her) and she couldn't tell if there were any problems or not! HA! Of course, I would have been happier actually NOT to have the mammogram but I must admit, I felt a bit smug! But only for a couple of minutes...
I got dressed and she then told me to strip off the lower half of my clothing - again, right in front of her. No paper robe or paper blanket for modesty! This is Germany - where people don't have hang ups about nudity - apparently!! As I stripped off my pants I reasoned, those little paper thingies only waste resources and cost extra money anyway, and for what? The doctor is going to see it all and touch it all anyway!! Dr. Konig did keep herself busy until I was up in the "chair" and then it was all business. Wham, bam, and I'm good for another year (she did make sure to tell me that I shouldn't really wait another 4 years for a pap smear).
Afterwards, I thought about the kids at my school. The first graders all change their clothes for PE in their home rooms - boys and girls altogether. The German kids have no qualms about stripping down to their undies in front of everyone - nor do most of the British kids. It is the Americans and the Koreans who want to duck behind bookshelves or under the desks to change. The adults are the same at the spas around here (or, so I've heard). I guess we Americans do need to get over feeling all embarrassed or shamed of our bodies - BUT I won't be stripping down at a spa in front of the guys anytime soon!! I'll start slow - just the doctor for now :).
1 comment:
You know, I can remember going back to my cubicle after talking with you at work and thinking, "I think that woman has lumpy breasts."...*Snort*
Post a Comment