I got out all the "stuff" to make some banana bread today and had a chuckle. I used Brazilian baking powder, German baking soda, and moved a bottle of American vanilla (made from Mexican vanilla beans) out of the way to get the salt.
As you can see here, I had to adapt my recipes after moving to Germany. All of my most used recipes have the amount of butter needed written in grams. The butter packages in Germany have the same little marks on them as the ones in the States BUT, of course, use the metric system instead of the American cooking system of cups, etc.
I'm having quite the problem with the packets of butter here in Brazil as they have NO markings on them at all! From what I can tell (watching my mother-in-law and sisters-in-law), Brazilian women go by look and feel when cooking and baking.
I've decided to play it safe and go with the measuring system I know - so, I've been cramming butter into the measuring cups and then scooping it back out again. I do have a nice measuring tool from Pampered Chef that pushes the butter right out so is easier to clean afterwards as well.
The oven has been an issue too! Of course, Germany and Brazil use the same temperature system - Celsius. But, here in Brazil I have a gas oven instead of the electric one I had in Germany. I am having to really watch stuff when cooking and baking because everything cooks so hot and fast. Today, I turned the oven down even more than last time and the banana bread still cooked in 40 minutes as opposed to the 60-70 minutes it is supposed to cook.
It tastes great though and didn't burn so I am happy!!
1 comment:
So do I get a sample?
Post a Comment