This is what met me as I exited the metro station! I was stunned to be so close to something I'd seen so many pictures of. Of course, one has to block from the mind all the gruesome things that happened there - ruins the grand image.
Mom and I both agree that the Palatine Hill and Roman Forum were our favorites. We took it slow and stopped in the shade whenever we could - mom did great! She is a little obsessed with Self-Guided Audio Tours (she had two at one time at the Palatine/Forum). However, I had to admit (and it was hard) that I did appreciate having the information. I just hate walking around with a big wand up to my head. I liked the MP3 tour she booked (as it used little ear phones), but what a drag picking it up and dropping it back off! I prefer a booklet to read but it is hard to walk and read at the same time. With the audio tours you can keep moving (at least in theory)!
The famous double spiral staircase in the vatican museum. The multitudes visiting the vatican everyday are diverted to the newer staircases or, as in our case, the elevators.
Standing in front of St. Peter's Basilica in the Piazza St. Pietro. Mom wanted a picture with the Swiss Guard so she sauntered over. One looked a little disdainfully at her and muttered "only kids." She had to give a parting shot "Well, I'm a kid!" OK, nice try - but, no picture!
The Trevi Fountain - I thought it would be a bit overrated but it is very beautiful. I should have taken a picture of the 300 or 400 other people sharing my view-very claustrophobic!
I guess this taxi driver had one too many "stinkin' tourists."
1 comment:
So glad to see that you had fun in Roma. Seeing all of your pictures really makes me miss it. Please tell me that you got some gelato while you were there!
Post a Comment