Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
Miss Piggy
When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
Bernard Bailey

Friday, August 28, 2009

German idiosyncrasies

When we moved into our apartment last July 1st, we quickly became aware that, not only were there no light bulbs, the fixtures had all been removed as well.  All that remained were wires hanging from the ceilings in every room.  Odd.

When I first looked at the apartment, a friend who accompanied me asked if the kitchen would remain.  The answer was yes and I questioned her later.  She told me that when one rents an apartment in Germany, usually one must buy a kitchen as well (cabinets, appliances, sink).  Weird.  Well, apparently, this custom includes the light fixtures as well - which I didn't even think to ask about.  

I had purchased some lamps and there is a built in light above the stove and in the bathroom.  So I figure we'll be alright until the days get shorter.  The woman I bought all my furniture from was also selling the light fixtures from her house - now I know why!

But, Germans are way ahead of the rest of the world in promoting families and healthy children!!  Maternity leave can last up to 3 years (yes, years) with the guarantee of returning to your same position at work or an equal position.  And, that is not all!!  During those 3 years, moms (or dads, I assume) can receive a stipend to make up for their loss of salary!!  It seems that birthrates dropped so low that the government decided to take action - and I think they came up with a fantastic solution!

I just hope they aren't renting an apartment somewhere or they may be raising these children in the dark and without kitchen appliances.

No comments: