Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
Miss Piggy
When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
Bernard Bailey

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Girl Scout weekend

Last weekend, I attended Keys to Leadership on the Army Base in Mannheim, Germany. I was assigned to the group that worked with the Armed Forces Network broadcast journalists!

We went around to a few of the different activities and filmed an interview at each location. Then, the girls were able to help edit the video on some pretty high tech editing equipment. It was very cool!




Can you tell, this activity was outdoor cooking! Girl Scouting is the same everywhere :)

I wanted to save the completed video to my USB memory stick but, alas, they are not allowed with Department of Defense computers! Seems there was a major security breach not long ago (2-3 years?) involving memory sticks purchased from Russian and Chinese companies. Once plugged into a computer, they started transmitting data and information out!



No GS event would be complete without a campfire, songs, and S'Mores!!!

I had a great time except for one thing. I didn't mind sleeping on the gym floor with 140 girls and adults (I came prepared with a sleeping pad and ear plugs). But, the bathroom facilities were a little gross - my section was using the boys bathroom in the gym - yuck!

The bases in Mannheim and Heidelberg are scheduled to close by 2015. One gal told me the school in Mannheim (where we stayed and attended workshops) will be closing after next school year. The AFN station will be transferred to Stuttgart (scene of recent anti-tree cutting protests). See the article HERE.

No comments: