Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
Miss Piggy
When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
Bernard Bailey

Monday, September 27, 2010

German driver's license... part 3

Finally!!! I had to go to Bad Homburg to pick this up from the equivalent of the DMV (located in the city offices). They are only open from 7:30-11 am M-F and 1:00-4 pm on Thursdays. Again, they don't make it easy to get the darn thing. I was able to catch a ride after school last Thursday from one of my students and his mom. Thankfully, she had a GPS in her car so we were able to find the group of buildings quickly. Then, I walked into several of the buildings before I found the correct one, got my ticket and waited until my number was called.

They took my Oregon license :( but now I have a lifetime German driver's license. Now I understand why the process is so lengthy and arduous!! I guess there is a law being proposed that will make it mandatory for Germans over the age of 65 or 70 to have their vision and reflexes tested in order to keep their license.

I was planning to go to DMV in Oregon next week and get a replacement license but I need to prove residency. Not a problem - just have my mom write up a lease for me. But, then I read that lying about your actual residency is a Class A Misdemeanor in Oregon!! Hmmm - maybe I'll rethink that plan! I'll end up in court along with Miss you-know-who!!!

3 comments:

Colafina said...

Aleluia!
Aleluia!
Alêêêêêêêêêluiááá!!!

Congratulations!

:-D

Colafina said...

Cary, why they took your Oregon license?

Cary Varela said...

They took my Oregon license because it shows why I didn't have to take the entire driving course here in Germany.