Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
Miss Piggy
When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
Bernard Bailey

Monday, May 16, 2011

Girl Scout weekend

Sorry to any of you still holding on to an occasional post!

Busy weekend - Girl Scout camp at Camp Lilienwald. This is a Pfadfinder (German scouting) camp location and we use it every year for an overnight experience. The weather held for the most part with just a little wind and rain Saturday afternoon!

http://www.lilienwald.de/

The funny part of the weekend - We arrived on Saturday morning at the appointed time to find a large group of people eating breakfast and taking down a huge tent. They had rented the place to another group Friday night and just expected us to wait until they left to set up. After they finally left, we discovered they had not put out their fire in the fire ring the night before but banked the ashes over a burning log. It was still smoking and actually caught fire again when disturbed. Then we found beer bottles and ashtrays. When we questioned one of leaders married to a German fellow she said this was quite normal for the German Scout leaders! Yikes - things are a lot more relaxed over here (Where can I sign up?)!!!~

The place really is this beautiful, however the sky was not quite so brilliantly blue Saturday and Sunday :) - but, when it is, it does look like this. The inside of the main lodge isn't as attractive as the picture on the bottom. It is pretty dark inside and needs a thorough cleaning.

On Sunday morning, the caretaker tried to get us to do a bit more cleaning up than our fair share. She tried to convince me that we were leaving the place much dirtier than we found it on Saturday morning. I reminded her that the others hadn't even left yet when we arrived and did not clean up after themselves at all - we even had to sweep the place before we could use it. She also tried to pin a broken table (marble top) on us but, again, I reminded her of all the stuff she had missed (beer bottles, ash trays, fire pit) and argued it was very likely she missed the broken table as well - it was pushed together so the broken seam didn't show (until we tried to move it 3 inches out of the way and against a wall).

I have a month + left of school (our last day is the 23rd of June). However, I was accepted into the Masters of Educational Technology program at Boise State and my summer classes (yes, two) start June 6th. I know I am crazy - just shake your head like Murilo does and love me for who I am!!!

No comments: