Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
Miss Piggy
When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
Bernard Bailey

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Dona Santa and Kate

Dona Santa arrived with Murilo on Thursday and Kate Scheidemann arrived yesterday so we had a full house - and loved it! I've impressed Dona Santa with my knowledge of the German language, sort of. She keeps asking if my neighbor speaks English so maybe she doesn't even believe that I'm speaking German! The sad thing is that I now remember very little Portuguese or Spanish (not that I knew that much to begin with). It seems that German has pushed out everything else!

I met Kate at the main train station and was so wanting to impress her with my knowledge of the train system. Alas, I got turned around and was a bit confused for awhile before we boarded the right train back to Oberursel. But wait, it gets better. First, we showed Kate and Dona Santa around the old part of Oberursel - very cool and I realized I've never included pictures of it in my blog. Next, we took them to eat at the Old Brew House for a traditional German meal - very yummy and filling. They are experiencing true German weather - rainy and cloudy then sunny then cloudy and windy (sounds like Madras in springtime).

Later that night, Jess and I took Kate into Frankfurt to experience some German culture. Yeah right - we went to see Star Trek at the English movie theater! We got so turned around - we went to the wrong theater (this was my first time and Jess had only been with friends), we went up and down and back and forth asking people how to get there, and finally we found it! We were 20 minutes late but they hadn't started showing the movie yet (that is a LOT of previews and commercials) so we ran up and found seats. It was a great movie! The trip home was fairly uneventful - right train, everything cool. But, we were talking and not paying attention and missed our stop! We got off at the next station and walked home - not too bad.

Poor Kate! She'll be back in two weeks and I'll be better prepared!!

















Picture 1: Murilo and Dona Santa in front of a house dating back to the 1600s (it seems Tibet was struggling even then - notice the Grafitti).

Picture 2: The old Rathaus or City Hall with the jail further back on the left hand side. To the right of where I'm standing taking the picture is the old Market Plaza where I shop every Saturday morning.
























Picture 3: Kate in front of a house dating to the 1700s taking a picture of another old house!
Picture 4: Jessica and Kate walking down the Witch's Staircase - there is some old story about how the young unmarried men were in danger from a witch if they went up or down these steps. I think some cranky old neighbor made up the story so young men wouldn't party nearby and or they had a babe of a daughter and wanted all the guys to leave her alone.





Picture 5: Dona Santa in front of the cute little house at the bottom of the steps.










Picture 6: Eating at the Alt Brauhaus - we are actually in the outdoor Beer Garden!

1 comment:

Colafina said...

Cary e Murilo!

Digam prá dona Santa que mandamos um abraço, e que ela abuse bastante de vocês dois!

Um abraço prá vocês também!

Alex.