Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
Miss Piggy
When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
Bernard Bailey

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

new stage in life

Wow! I didn't realize it had been so long since I last posted anything!

Well, my little girl is growing up (they do that)!! Yesterday, she loaded up a UHaul with her friend, Julia, and headed over to Gresham where they are renting an apartment together. I've tried to keep a bold face - I am truly happy for her as she steps out on her own, spreads her wings and flies the nest, all those metaphors!! But, as I ate dinner alone this evening, I got a little choked up. She and I have been through a lot together over the years, and we were often alone. I cannot lie - I am looking forward to this new phase of my life. Murilo has been a champ as usual. He just began a 5 month leave-of-absence from Continental and we have planned some trips during our school breaks. But, he took off for Brazil this morning and I'm a little bummed out tonight - no Murilo, no Jessi. For the past 10 years, she has come creeping into bed after Murilo has taken off for Newark. I guess it is just me and Zizou tonight!! I think I understand how empy nest moms become neurotic small dog owners. Yikes! Maybe I'll make Zizou sleep in his own bed - visions of "Best in Show" come to mind!!!

5 comments:

Laurie said...

At least you are picturing best in shown not worst in show!

Colafina said...

Hello, Cary!

(Forgive me, but I will try to write in english... ) :-D

Don't worry, melancholy in right dosage is natural and beneficial. It is the opportunity to put in order the things that plague us!
But do not overdo the dose, or else will thinking silly and then spoils everything! :-D

Um grande abraço, e tudo de bom prá você (This not need translate for you, right?)
Alex.

Cary Varela said...

Thanks for the kind advice! I know it is normal, but it is still hard!

Unknown said...

Good advice Cola. And thank you for writing in english. I enjoyed reading your comment.


Thank you
Cary's mamma

Colafina said...

Hello, Cary's mamma!
Congratulations, his daughter is a very special person.
Hugs!
Alex.