The after school activity director organized a canoe trip on the Lahn River for interested FIS staff. Krumos' Kanus was the company where we rented all the canoes - we had 10 altogether!We are all just standing around waiting for our life vests ('living jackets' according to our outfitter-it was cute).
This is a map of the Lahn River. It isn't very far away but would take awhile to get there by train. We had several drivers among our group who ferried the rest of us non-car owners.
Yes, Zizou came along! I put his backpack in the bow of the boat and draped a towel over when the sun got too hot. He also sat in my lap when I stretched my legs over his space. He enjoyed barking at all the dogs walking with their owners alongside the river!
The rest of our gear (tents, sleeping bags, food) was packed around us and under our seats. Some people even brought floatation devices for their beer and dragged it along behind!
We enjoyed beautiful weather both days - which we all considered a miracle! Our glorious weekend was sandwiched between cold, rainy weather on both sides!!
The outfitter told us we would go through the ONLY river tunnel in Germany. The little white spot at the end is the last of three locks. We just barely made it through before the gates closed. A couple of canoes from our group ended up waiting in the near darkness for about 15 minutes for the next group to go through.
One of the other locks we went through. The current jams everyone up against the gates and we had to back paddle so the doors would have room to open.
Our destination is just on the other side of this town - Runkle. It was a great trip! I hope Murilo and I can go together some time!!
I went on a Girl Scout campout the next weekend and had good weather on the first day but it poured on us the second day :( I can't include photos - against GS regulations!







No comments:
Post a Comment