I read on the internet that people with an Oregon driver's license only need to pass the written test here. People from some states need only trade in their license to get a German license while others must take a 2000 Euro driver's course (which is the "whole meal deal" referred to above)! So, I feel somewhat lucky that I'm in the middle!
I finally obtained a copy of the illusive (English language) practice tests and study disk from a colleague and thought I only needed to study then tell the driving school (Fahrschule) that I was ready. Sadly, no. There is a BIT more to it. Luckily, I was forewarned by another colleague who completed the rigorous requirements earlier this school year. I went down to her recommended Fahrschule (there is one on nearly every corner around here) WHICH is only opened for inquiries on Mondays. Here is the list of "stuff" I had to collect BEFORE I could even begin:
- copy of my Oregon driver's license
- German translation of my OR driver's license
- copy of my first aid card (all driver's must have a first aid card to GET their license)
- German translation of my American Red Cross first aid card - obtained in Weisbaden, Germany (the two translations cost me another 25 Euros)
- Paperwork filled out by guy at Fahrschule and signed/stamped by City Hall (8 euros) - this is to verify that you are a registered resident of Germany AND Oberursel
- copy of my passport
- 2 passport photos
- an eye test (the local eyeglass store did this for less than 7 euros)
- 99 Euros
OK, now I'm ready to take the test, right? Wrong! Now, all this paperwork must be taken to someplace in Bad Homberg. No problem - once they get it I can take the test?? No. It takes these people 4-8 weeks to process the paperwork (my colleague waited for over 12 weeks). THEN, once the Fahrschule gets the "thumbs up" from Bad Homberg, I can make an appointment to take the written driver's exam! Of course, at that time I must reimburse the guy at the Fahrschule 44 Euros (the Bad Homberg fee) plus fork over another 57 Euros for the test!!
But, if I pass the test, I can rent or buy a car here in Germany and drive around legally!
I will never complain about DMV again!
Funny related story: Ted V. just sent me a message from his iPhone and it reminded me of this. The guy at the driving school was filling out my paperwork and gave me the total costs. It was more than what I'd been told so I said to the guy "Darn, iPhone or Driver's license - bummer". He laughed. Later, he needed my address and home phone number. Then, he asked for my cell phone number. I smiled and he laughed. Yeah, never mind!!
1 comment:
Well, at least you know you're still flirt-worthy.
Post a Comment