Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
Miss Piggy
When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
Bernard Bailey

Sunday, October 26, 2008

tattoo tales

Yes, we did it (sort of)...

Jess and I went down to the Tattoo Atelier last Saturday here in Oberursel ready to go. But only ONE of us came out with a tattoo!

First, you need some history - when Jess was 15 she started asking to get a tattoo. At 16 she became a little more adamant. Thinking I was a wise mother, I flippantly told her if she waited until she was 18 I'd even go get one with her! Well, she called in that "promise" in September! Jess had even done her homework - choosing a Celtic design that represents the three stages of womanhood- very cool. So, we prepared for the "Mother/Daughter 44th/18th Birthday Bonding Tattoo Torture Experience."

We arrived last Saturday, both a little nervous. Jessica described her design to the shop maestro and he went to work recreating it to her specifications. When it met with her approval and he had all of his supplies ready to go, Jess said "You go first." "Oh, no, YOU go first." "No, mom, you go first." A sigh of resignation and I was in the chair.

Yes, it hurts! I'm not smiling, I'm gritting my teeth and trying not to kick the guy through the wall behind him. Jess was very supportive - even holding my hand at one point.






Viola! (Sorry, I don't know the German equivalent.) I think the Celts knew what being a woman was all about - I do feel like I'm 'spiraling' out of control sometimes :)


Ah, now it is Jessica's turn! First, the print was applied to the spot of choice - and this is where the story takes a somewhat ironic twist...
Jess knew she wanted the tattoo on the back of her leg but decided the way the design was first applied looked more like Mickey Mouse from far away. So, she asked if the design could be turned 180 degrees which she did like much better. However, being a typical 18 year old girl, she asked if she could have the Mickey Mouse design applied to her left leg, keeping the current one on the right - so she could make a more informed decision. I thought this was a reasonable request and our artist complied.
Suddenly, he started cleaning everything up and told Jessica to think about it for a few days. He did not want to give her a tattoo if she wasn't sure about it as she had to live with it for a long time (wise man). Jessica tried to explain she just wasn't sure which 'direction' she wanted it but he looked at his watch and said to come back.
Later, we realized he had another appointment in 20 minutes but I do think he was right to make her mull it over. However - I'm now the one with the tattoo and NOT Jessica! She was going to get it yesterday but has a bad cold and didn't want to go in feeling bad. Maybe next weekend we can add the next installment of our saga.
To be continued (or I'll tattoo her myself) ...





3 comments:

Unknown said...

Stop using Jesscia for your excuse to get a tattoo.

Colafina said...

Viu só, quem mandou prometer? A Jessica é muito experta, te enganou direitinho! :)
Aguardo curioso o segundo episódio desta saga!
Abraço a todos,
Alex.

Gordon said...

It's an interesting design - it can mean different things to different folks. I never got one even though they were popular amongst many fellow sailors. I never thought I'd like one long enough to justify it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_spiral