Hello all! Sorry I haven't written in awhile but you are probably as busy as I am anyway!
I just returned last Monday from a week in Ames, Iowa with my Odyssey of the Mind team. I had a temporary blog for the kids and their parents which you are welcome to look at: fisodysseyofthemind.blogspot.com. I won't rehash too much here but will add that I returned utterly exhausted!!! The kids were great but it was hard being their parent for the week - I wanted to strangle them all at one point! But, it was neat seeing America through their eyes. They didn't know what to do with the extra sheet when we arrived at the dorms. People only use a bottom sheet then a duvet with a cover here in Germany. I had to give a quick lesson on bed making as I wasn't going to make six extra beds! Then, the money was an issue which I didn't even think about. One of the Korean girls was especially frustrated - the dime should be bigger than the nickel and the penny AND why aren't the values of the coins more obvious? Good questions. The unlimited supply of soda and donuts in the cafeteria became an issue as well -I had to cut them off or lose my sanity!! Luckily, we had a buddy team from Texas with extra adults and they helped me out so much.
Now, the big push to finish the school year is in full swing. I have to write narratives for 28 ESL reports before the 10th (which would have been finished by now if I hadn't gone to Iowa). And, we have guests arriving this next week! Murilo (not a guest) returns Tuesday, Dann and Emma Patrick will spend Tuesday night here on their way to Ireland, Jessi's dad and step mother will arrive on Wednesday afternoon, and my mom arrives on Thursday afternoon. Jessi's graduation ceremony and dinner are Saturday - YIPPEE!!! She did it, she did it!
Then, we are moving in to different apartment the 26th of June. I pay 1230 Euros for our current 2 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment (including heat, water, trash, a garage, and furniture). Our new 2 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment will by 680 Euros (including heat, water, trash) - I have to furnish it. I have been procuring items in preparation and am very excited. I bought a load of stuff from a family leaving after only one year (they were supposed to be here three) so everything is less than one year old and I paid 1300 Euros: queen sized bed with sheets, duvet, and cover; 3 wardrobes (no closets here); washer; dryer; refrigerator; microwave; toaster; mixer. I received a couch, two chairs, and a big area rug from another family for free! And yesterday at the annual leavers flea market, I bought a dining table and four chairs (from Target) for 20 Euros, four lamps for 20 Euros, and a few odds and ends. I'm still trying to find a blender but may have to just buy a new one (lived nearly a year without one so not a big deal). I even bought a small, hand-made guitar for 25 Euros since I'll have some time on my hands next year to learn a few children's songs!
That's about it for now. I probably won't write again until after school is out on the 19th.
Take care!
No comments:
Post a Comment