A colleague from the middle school asked if I would accompany her to pick up a harp last Saturday (she didn't want to travel by herself). I said "sure." I don't often have a chance to see the surrounding area, especially by car. Of course, she thinks I'm a saint now because I gave up my Saturday (one that was cloudless, sunny, and gorgeously blue - but a bit chilly). We drove a little over 2 hours to the village of Sickels near the town of Fulda (Google Fulda - some interesting information). We used her GPS system and for awhile we were both wondering where the hell we were going!!! But, "Heidi" came through and got us there.
The first photo is the harp makers trademark. It hangs by the workshop door and is carved (or burned) into the bottom of each harp. The second is the symbol she chose to have carved on her harp. It is a Celtic design from an earring her son bought her in Ireland.The last two photos show the completed harp and one under construction in the workshop. It was a very cool place! Now, she must tune her harp constantly and play it often until the strings stretch out and stay tuned. See that big smile - no excitement there!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment