VERBS
I know, I can't let this one go! I read recently that one of the first rules of learning another language is to accept the way it is. It is what it is! How profound - of course, Murilo has been saying that all along!
The reason this came up: I had dinner with our raclette and domino friends a couple of weeks ago (Jo and Peter). We decided to go eat Chinese Buffet and play cards instead - it wasn't the same without Murilo! I taught them how to play Cribbage and they taught me how to play Swimming (or "Schwimmen"). A German colleague joined us at the Chinese restaurant (the same colleague who is a die-hard soccer fan). It was decided, without asking me first, that we would speak German at dinner. The nerve!! Actually, it was good for me :) and I did pretty well. My colleague had stopped at the grocery store next door to buy lemons before coming to the restaurant and I commented that I had bought lemons today also, but at Edeka.
No wait, "I had today at Edeka lemons bought also."
No, "I had at Edeka today also bought lemons."
Grrr - time, manner, place... time, manner, place.
OK, "I had today, lemons, at Edeka, also bought?"
By then, they were laughing and patiently correcting my grammar (I can't remember the proper way to say it now). And, all agreed that German grammar is very difficult - amen! But I, being the uncouth American, launched into this tirade about having to wait SO LONG for the verb to come. My colleague laughed and said that Germans just think faster so they can construct sentences quickly in their heads before speaking. I said Americans just want the important stuff first "I bought." For the busy, that is enough and they've stopped listening. For others, "I bought lemons" is enough and they move on. My friends humored me, but I proved my point!
OK, let me show you what I mean... "I had today, at Ededa, lemons.... stole!!"
By the time the verb comes, I'm long gone!! You can call the polizei but they won't catch me!!! We all had a good laugh and returned to the buffet for another round :)! It's a good thing I have such patient and wonderful friends - here and in America!
Now, for the HAIRCUTS:

I got the best deal of the three!! Jo's friend cut my hair again, a little shorter, but so nice. I absolutely love it!! Originally, I showed her a picture of Katie Holmes. I still don't have the nose (and DON'T want the weird husband), but love the hair!
I trimmed Zizou's hair in preparation for our trip to Prague on Saturday. Yes, the three of us are traveling to the Czech Republic for a few days!! I'll give you the details and photos when we return. BUT, I think Zizou turned out very cute! (My secret - I used the thinning shears instead of regular scissors - very forgiving of mistakes).

Then we come to Murilo! At first, I thought he looked like he'd just joined the military!! It was hard to look at. But, I've grown accustomed to it after a few hours (but will be glad when it grows out a bit - I like it a little curly). He went into a "salon" in Elizabeth, New Jersey. The woman asked if he wanted it "even." He answered, "of course, how else?" She grabbed the electric shears and before he could even react, just shaved a swath right down the middle of his head!! He yelped, "What are you doin?" and she replied, "Well, you said you wanted it even!" Yikes. Remember not to get my hair cut there!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment