Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
Miss Piggy
When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
Bernard Bailey

Monday, March 28, 2011

stolen wallet

Three weeks ago I was in Dusseldorf attending an ESL conference with many colleagues. I stayed an extra night with a couple friends to experience the real Fasching - Dusseldorf and Koln are well known for their wild Carnival celebrations! It was way bigger and crazier than the ones around Oberursel and Frankfurt! However, on the downside, my wallet was stolen during all the revelry and I had to contact the police then my bank to cancel my debit and credit cards. The video below will give you a little idea as to what I went through trying to cancel my debit card on an automated, voice only, German, system - oiy!! My issue was 'five' - apparently, I don't pronounce 'funf' satisfactorily!! And, the system did tell me to 'speak slowly and clearly' several times. By the end, I was shouting FUNF - FUNF until I remembered this video and started laughing. Eventually, I called back and was able to get a real person - who spoke English. She even chuckled when I told her what had happened (she was professional enough not to add any comments about the way I say 'funf').



No comments: