Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
Miss Piggy
When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
Bernard Bailey

Sunday, February 1, 2009

im herzen afrikas

I had such a busy week last week! One of the first grade teachers was out all week (mother in hospital) and her assistant, who would usually sub for her, was out sick. The other first grade ESL teacher was also out sick most of the week. So, I covered the 1st grade class on Monday and Friday and also doubled up on duties. I could feel myself getting sick on Monday night - you know that incredibly tired feeling that heralds the onslaught of illness. I forged on ahead of course and by Friday wanted to stay home - but didn't. I spent the weekend resting, except for my weekly visit to the market to resupply, and feel much better.

Friday night, Jess and I made an unscheduled trip into Frankfurt. Friday was supposed to be the last day for one of the students in the class I was subbing in (and where I work twice a week normally). However, she woke up early Friday morning with an ear infection and, since they were planning to fly to America on Saturday, decided to take immediate action and seek medical attention. So, all of the girl's things (presents from the kids, portfolio items from all subjects, and gym clothes) were left to languish at school. The school has a limit on how much they can send so all of this was destined to remain behind. I couldn't let that happen!! I called the dad after school and explained that I had all her stuff. He met Jess and I at a U-Bahn station near their temporary housing and was so thankful that he gave me a bottle of champagne :).

For my reward, Jess took me to an Ethiopian restaurant that she had been to with friends. It was very cool! The wall were covered with canvas so it felt as if we were in a big tent. The food was served on a big platter and we had to eat everything with our hands (using spongy tortilla-like bread). It was great, but I was so tired by the time we got home. I slept in until 9:30 the next morning! We want to take Grandma when she comes for a visit but we're not sure if she'll like it. As you can see in the pictures, there are cushions to sit on and also chairs. But, the chairs are kind of low and I had a hard time finding an out of the way place for my long legs! The restaurant's website is http://www.im-herzen-afrikas.de/.

No comments: