One of the procedures we implemented was to hand out large squirt bottles of extra-strength hand sanitizer to each classroom teacher AND to install self-serve sanitizer dispensers in high traffic locations (like near the doors of the buildings, etc.). Well, it seems the stuff was a little too strong!
Earlier this week, the 2 year old sibling of one of our primary students wandered over to the self-serve dispenser in our building and managed to squirt the stuff right into her eye! The hospital is treating her for a severe chemical burn (she will be alright, whew) but wondered why we were using this stuff at our school. Apparently, it is medical strength stuff that this particular hospital uses to prep for surgery (patients and staff). It says right on the bottles to "keep out of reach of children" - but, of course, it is in German!
Oops! The dispensers have all been retrieved and/or emptied and we return to the more mundane ritual of actually washing our hands with soap and water. I for one never used the stuff as it left my hands very dry and smelling like antiseptic (now we know why).
In the U.S. this would have been an immediate law suit!! However, Germans have a different attitude about all this. Yes, it was not meant to be used with children but the school was trying to stop the spread of dangerous diseases. And, hey lady, why weren't you watching your 2 year old anyway?? You are responsible for stuff she squirts in her eye!
I never thought I'd say it but - I LOVE THAT!
3 comments:
Wow! That is a great concept. Make the parent responsible for their children. ?? Why that is awesome! I bet that mother is kicking herself for not living in the US where she can sue the principal, the school, and the school district. Because here in the US, everyone else is to blame. :-)
Amen, sistah!!
to be fair - I guess one wouldn't expect there to be a toxic substance that would cause a chemical burn inside a school for 3-7 year olds!!
Post a Comment