Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
Miss Piggy
When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
Bernard Bailey

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

learning new things

I took my knitting project (remember the dolls) to Brazil for those down-times when I needed something to do (I also took two books). You know how I am, it's a curse sometimes. Anyway, my sisters-in-law watched me knitting and finally could take it no longer. They decided to teach me to knit the Brazilian way (which is also the German way, I think). I will admit, it is much faster and more efficient than the way I was knitting but I was fine - really. BUT, I decided to tackle the task. I figured if nothing else, it would help fight against future dementia. They taught me to make these cute little house slippers! So, beware - there may be a few of these going out as presents in the future :)


This is the one I made - my first attempt! Not too bad if you don't look too closely!! Some very serious (and potentially detrimental) mistakes were patiently corrected by one of Murilo's sisters. Now I'm on my own! I was actually making my first pair completely on my own while waiting in line at the airport in Brazil. Remember I told you earlier that my knitting needles were confiscated!? Well, I was able to rethread and continue on when I returned to Frankfurt. That security lady in Sao Paulo was LUCKY, that's all I have to say!

When I returned to Germany, I learned two new pieces of information about my new home (I'll probably be saying that as long as I live here!).

1. It is a LAW (as is everything in Germany) that home owners/renters (and apartment hausmeisters) must shovel the snow and salt/sand the ice on sidewalks in front of their abodes by 7 am. If anyone slips and falls, the homeowner/renter is liable for any damages - unless they have shoveled and salted/sanded. This is the exact opposite in England I was told. There, if you disturb the snow/ice and someone falls then the owner/renter is liable. If they leave the snow/ice alone - then the person who falls in on their own. Hmmmm.

2. Here, the "after-Christmas" sales are regulated. All sales officially end by February 1st. Until then, prices can be slashed up to 75% and no more. After Feb. 1st, all prices return to normal. (Of course, this is a law as well). Is this the case in the U.S. and I just never knew??

2 comments:

Colafina said...

Chinelos??
Acho que também servem como touca!

Unknown said...

Very cute. I think you did a fine job. You are very brave, Sis.