I just wanted to add one more post before school starts tomorrow. I have a busy week and probably won't add anything for a few days (it will give some of you a chance to catch up) :).
Friday evening Murilo and I went to a local cafe to listen to music and eat a bite. Jessica had just returned from a 3 day school trip and opted to stay home. We thoroughly enjoyed the music but had another culture lesson! We were allowed to sit at a table in the corner having arrived early as the band was setting up. After ordering we noticed a card on the table that we deduced meant the table was reserved. Not until nearly every table was full and the band was starting to warm up did the reservees arrive and we were told to vacate. Luckily, two ladies at a nearby table invited us to join them. The four of us had a great (if broken) conversation and enjoyed the band - billed a duo but there were three of them (even the German gals couldn't explain that).
Saturday morning we cleaned the apartment and I made some banana muffins. The upstairs neighbors (The Czechs) picked us up in their car downstairs at 1 and took us to their garden. It is like a community garden but people lease plots. Our neighbors have been leasing theirs for 15 years. It was a magical place - beautiful! Vegetables, fruit trees/bushes and flowers everywhere. Several people (including our neighbors) have little cabins on their plots. We stayed there until around 8 pm eating and drinking and visiting. The Szebestas bought me a flowering plant for my birthday and their daughter bought me a Happy Birthday mug with candles and special birthday tea. Neither would actually wish me a happy birthday (as it is bad luck in Germany to do so before the actual birthday).
This morning Murilo played soccer with a group of guys up at my school (for whoever wants to join in) for a couple of hours. I decided to be a risk taker and do something completely daring for my birthday - I did laundry!! I actually ran out onto the balcony and hung towels to dry (below the edge of the railing of course). I felt so free and liberated - like streaking!!! :) Later, we headed to Frankfurt with the Sweeneys and some of their friends for the annual Newcomers Festival and some shopping. I bought some earings for 7 Euros and Jessica bought me a scarf for 2 Euros (the type you wrap around your shoulders). On the way home we stopped at our favorite ice cream shop for some "spaghetti eis" and then walked home. (Spaghetti ice cream is just ice cream pushed through a seive so then looks like spaghetti, with strawberries and whipped cream on top - yummmm).
All in all a very satisfying weekend! Next weekend, Jessica has a home soccer game (against the Munich International School) and then we are supposed to head to Ingelheim to meet some of the Wasems!!
Take care everyone!!
No comments:
Post a Comment