Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
Miss Piggy
When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
Bernard Bailey

Saturday, September 6, 2008

musings continued . . .

Ausfart - means exit :) This is posted at every exit and even in front of people's driveways. I know it is low potty humor but it makes me chuckle everytime!

Police - the police will actually show up at your door to collect TV tax if you haven't paid AND if you are doing laundry on Sundays (especially if you hang your clothes out to dry on Sunday). OK, how do they KNOW you haven't paid your TV tax or you are doing your laundry?? Yep, the neighbors rat on you! I met a couple new to the school last year (went through orientation with Chip and Judy) and the police showed up at their door to collect over 200 Euros in back TV taxes! They have crappy neighbors because they were also told to stop hanging their clothes out on Sundays. Yikes. Now, I can't explain the whole laundry thing (yet) but I did get the skinny on the TV tax - seems Germans pay this tax to support national programming which cuts down on advertisements, especially for shows geared towards children. I can support that (I'm already paying my tax) but the whole gestapo-like neighbor-ratting is weird.

Quiet time - is from 1-3 every Saturday and Sunday afternoon AND after 9 every night. One newbie who went through orientation with me has already had neighbors knocking on his door for playing his piano (shipped from Scotland) literally 2 minutes before 3pm. (See Police above). Seems people are (dare I say it) Nazi-ish about protecting their laws.

Eggs - changing the subject back to something lighter (literally), eggs are sold in cartons of 10 rather than 12. Or, you can purchase a smaller carton of 6 - I guess 1/2 cartons of 5 were too tricky to manage :). So, while egg prices are comparable to the U.S. at first blush, they end up more expensive due to the smaller cartons. I'm surprised this hasn't caught on in the states.

Smart cars - are everywhere! They make a 2 seater or a 4 seater and other manufacturers are copying them (Toyota and Fiat have similar models). I just can't imagine driving on the autobahn in one of them trying to keep up with the BMWs, etc.)

Bicycles - are also everywhere - we are in cyclist heaven here. There are trails all around with signs telling how far to the next towns. Murilo did comment that he would NOT ride a bike if he were required to wear a cycling outfit like the ones we've seen (I think they have contests to see who can wear the tightest, tackiest bike outfits). I keep pointing out the people wearing normal clothing but they are usually older people which doesn't help convince him! AND, the men have no qualms about changing from their work clothes into their bike clothes in full view of our primary school - I'm talking buck naked (although there are trees in the way)!

Happy Birthday - the more traditional (superstitious) Germans will not wish someone Happy Birthday until the day of or after the actual birth date. AND they do not want anyone even coming close to mentioning their birthday until the actual date or after. Apparently, it brings extremely bad luck to do so! Hence, their habit of bringing their own birthday treats for a work place celebration (I feel so much pressure now).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I believe Germany has a tax for the size of a car’s engine. That is probably why the Smart Car is so popular. They like to charge a tax on just about anything in Europe.
Do they charge less for electric in the evening than during the day? In Belgium they charged half the day rate for the use of electric at night.
Nice classroom. Love the rainbow above the door. Is that inside your room?
Love ya!

Unknown said...

I love your stories, keep them coming. HA

By the way:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SWEETIE


MOM

Cary Varela said...

Yes, I believe the engine tax exists throughout Europe. I don't know about the electricty as we pay a flat rate through the school 75 Euros per month).

The rainbow is outside the door. My ESL partner started putting up some decorations and kept mentioning a rainbow for my door. She dug out the little boy watering the flower and I felt so much pressure to put something nice up. I just used the die cut hearts to make the rainbow - funny thing, as I was hanging it I got a lot of positive comments AND people teased me about trying to outdo everyone. Great! Now I have this reputation for being some great bulletin board decorator - if only they knew!

Gordon said...

Community Policing is s key phrase in Portland. Police are more effective when neighbors rat on neighbors. It hasn't "progressed" to the point of laundry hanging and piano playing yet. We have an annual buck-naked bike ride through downtown Portland. We are more progressive in some respects and have catching up to do in others. I'm currently learning the piano but since I live in suburbia and have control over key pressure and double pane glass I think I can remain free to pick my own times to practice. Or, I may just feel a wee bit like an anarchist when I sit down to plink away :-)