Busy week!! My school had Open House on Tuesday night, Murilo and I had to go downtown on Thursday night, Jess had her first soccer game last night and another this morning, both in the rain of course. Is this the only sport that doesn't call the game for bad weather?? I should have encouraged Jess to play volleyball or basketball! Her team tied yesterday (3-3) and won today (1-0)- Munich International School. Side note - Jess was so worried that the level of play here would be "out of her league" but no. It is about the same as Madras (maybe slightly better).
OK, so many people have been asking me about school here that I've decided to fill you in:
I realized early on that the school here is trying to align their curriculum between classrooms of the same grade and between grade levels. In fact, they are in the process of writing down what they do during the year so a new teacher or an outsider could look at the "written curriculum" and get a fairly good idea of what is taught when. Hmmmm, all 509J teachers will relate :) - this is a process that never ends really. Some of the more "experienced" teachers look at this process as a complete waste of time while others see it as beneficial. (again, sounds familiar). Teachers here still have a LOT of control about what is going on in their classrooms - and I don't think some appreciate it.
Curriculum - they follow the International Baccalaureate Program's Primary Years Program (PYP - which Judy tells me has SEVERAL "unofficial" meanings as well :). You can find more information about it online by going to Google. Writing follows a "workshop" program while reading is very holistic as well (guided reading, word wall words, DRA assessments), and math follows the PYP guidelines while using Math Their Way. I nearly jumped for joy when I discovered all of this. For those of you reading this and shrugging your shoulders, just know it is very much like what is done in New Zealand and what I (and others) tried to do in Madras. For other subjects, they follow the PYP Units of Study (Taking care of Ourselves, Now and Long Ago, Materials, etc.). There are six units for the year and teachers bring in a lot of reading, writing, and math into the units. It really is awesome!
In ESL I'm supposed to work mainly on oral language but I do a lot with literacy as well. I'm given a lot of freedom as to what English instruction looks like in my room as long as I follow the "adopted" ESL continuum and methods used above. If I started drilling my students on phonics and grammar rules all the time, I'm sure people would question me. I have one group of seven "new to English" students and another group of eight "early intermediate" students. I meet with these students everyday in my room. I also provide in class support for these and others who are more "advanced" but still need a lot of vocabulary.
There are six first grade teachers, two ESL teachers (I'm one of them), and one learning support teacher on our "team." I work very closely with three of the 1st grade teachers while the other ESL teacher works with the other three. One of my strengths is working with different people and their personalities and let me tell you, I'm relying on it heavily!!! The other ESL teacher is an excellent teacher and is helping me a lot (AND I get along with her very well). In fact, all of the teachers are pretty amazing, it's nice. However, I've sensed a lot of tension between some of the members of the team and am trying to navigate through the personalities. It's a common theme- some people have a hard time compromising. However, rather than make me wish I hadn't come here :) I feel more at home. Utopia (which is somewhat daunting) is rather less scary when the flaws appear.
All in all, I love the school - even more so with its flaws. It truly encourages students of all ages to be thinkers and "inquiry learning" is at the heart of everything they do. Just last week, the team leader came up with an idea to work on playground safety that totally fit with the current Unit of Study (Taking Care of Ourselves - Responsibility). Her students discussed safety rules, came up with a list of how kids should use the equipment, then went out to observe the kindergarten students using the equipment. They were all out there with their clipboards ticking off when the kinders did and didn't follow safe conduct. They compiled the information and shared it at assembly. It was so cute - they were little safety researchers.
I've mentioned before that the administrators here seem like "real" people. They show up at Friday happy hour in the staff lounge, pull off their ties, have a beer, and mingle with everyone. They also stop and talk to Jessica and I, look us in the eye and listen as Jess tells about her soccer game. They take German lessons along with the other new people. Yes, they make decisions (just like everywhere else) that not everyone is happy about but will also admit when they've made a mistake and actually change their course afterwards.
OK, enough. Things are going well. There were a few bumps and I'm sure there will be more. But, I'm glad we came.
Cheers.
2 comments:
What?! The leaders at your school admit to mistakes? I'm so jealous.
I think you will agree, mom, that this version is better! Thanks :)
Post a Comment