She's an adult!! Yes, my little baby girl turned 18 years old yesterday - and she's already disillusioned with American politics.
I thought I would be so cool but as soon as I tried to wish her "Happy Birthday" I started crying. Not to sound like a cliche, but I DO remember like it was yesterday: holding her in the hospital and thinking now what? (no really, I was thinking how could God in His/Her infinite wisdom even think I could deserve such a blessing). I remember laughing as her first word was "kitty" and not "mommy" OR "daddy", helping her take her first steps, watching her get her first haircut, gritting my teeth and sitting back every time she said "No, I can do it myself." Yes, she exhibited that independent spirit at an early age. And, I can't even begin to describe puberty - oi vay.
Heavy sigh. My brother and his wife are expecting their first baby April 14th. They are in for a lot of laughs, tears (of joy and frustration), worrying, and rejoicing. I guess God knew what He/She was doing - I can't think of anything else in my life that has brought such growth and maturity in ME and brought such a close friend into my life. She's such a blessing.
Now, we are going to celebrate by getting matching tattoos on our ankles!!! Woohoo!!
1 comment:
Happy Birthday to Jessica. I guess I really need to get Shane to write down everyone's birthdays for me so we can stay on top of things better. Reading your post does make me think of everything instore for Shane and for me with our baby on the way. We are going to old though!! By the time our little one is 18 shane will be nearly old enough to collect social security. Scary!
Good luck with the tatoos. I hope it doesn't hurt too much. I'm a pain wimp...I'm already afraid of labor and delivery.
Post a Comment