After talking to Kristi last night and emailing her the recipe today, I thought I'd better share this with everyone!! I have two Tiramisu recipes to share, the first from a friend here in Oberursel (from her Italian friend) and the other from the cooking class we took in Italy:
1. TIRAMISU
500 gr mascarpone cheese (about 2 cups)
4 eggs
80 gr sugar (somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 cup)
2 Tablespoon Amaretto or Marsala (liqueur)
300 gr savoiardi (Lady Fingers basically)
coffee (brewed)
cocoa powder
Mix only the yolks with the sugar until very creamy and the yolks change color.
Add the Mascarpone and liqueur and mix well.
In another bowl, whip egg whites until firm but not stiff.
Delicately fold the egg whites into the yolk/sugar/mascarpone mixture.
Pour cold coffee in a bowl and dilute with water.
Put the lady fingers into the pan and bathe them with cofee.
Pour over the cookies a layer of mascarpone et al.
Add another layer of the lady fingers, bathe them with coffee and pour the rest of the mascarpone mixture.
Refrigerate at least one hour before serving.
Dust with cocoa before serving.
2. TIRAMISU
2 eggs, separated
70 gr sugar (a little less than 1/3 cup)
250 gr mascarpone cheese (about 1 cup)
Savoiardi cookies (again, lady fingers basically)
coffee with bourbon
cocoa powder
Follow the same directions as above (except the bourbon is mixed into the coffee not the cheese mixture).
In individual cups:
Put a small amout of the mascarpone mixture into the bottom of each cup
Quickly dip a cookie into the coffee/bourbon to wet but not soak them and place one in each cup.
Add a good layer of the mascarpone mixture to each cup.
Dust with cocoa powder.
Add another cookie dipped in coffee/bourbon to each cup.
Add another good layer of the mascarpone mixture.
Dust with cocoa powder.
Refrigerate at least one hour before serving.
I found a website that tells how to make your own mascarpone cheese if you can't find it OR it is way too expensive. www.bellaonline.com/articles/art25894.asp. I also wondered (after reading about mascarpone on Wikipedia) if one could just substitute softened cream cheese mixed with a little powdered sugar for the mascarpone. Of course, the mascarpone would be the best as it is so light.
Buon Appetito
2 comments:
I made some tonight using recipe number 2 and it was delicious!!! I used Bailey's as that was all I had and added a drop of vanilla to the mascarpone mixture as I thought it was a bit too sweet (my mom's secret). I adjusted the level of sugar on the blog recipe but it really depends on your taste. If you want it sweeter, add more sugar. YUMMY!!! I have a new favorite dessert.
From my perspective in making the Tiramisu, one could use another hard cookie. It is all in the taste of what you think might taste good with the conponents of the recipe. The basis for the recipe is the eggs, flavorings, and the mascarpone cheese. Finally how it is prepared.
Cary did a nice job on her recipe. YUM, very goooooood.
Post a Comment