Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
Miss Piggy
When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
Bernard Bailey

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

German appliances

I feel so stupid! Our dryer (which we don't use that often) slowly began cycling less and less. Then, one day it stopped working altogether. I checked the obvious: cord was plugged in, dial was turned to the correct place," on" button pushed in. I cleaned out the lent trap, still nothing.

Oh well, it hadn't dryed clothes that well anyway so I could continue to dry things on our clothes racks (I have three).

The other day, I was transferring Zizou's food from a new bag to the plastic bin (you can see it in the picture under the dryer platform) and I noticed this white plastic "thing." I had never noticed it before and it looked suspiciously like a drawer (in the picture I've pulled it out slightly so you can see it better - but it WAS flush with the dryer). It somehow makes me feel better that you know that detail.




Upon closer inspection, I realized it was a drawer and was completely filled with water. Hmmm, my mind tried to sort all of this information - could this be related to the dryer's sudden stoppage? Was this drawer supposed to be filled with water? That didn't seem likely. Hmmmm, maybe this would explain why there was no vent to the outside and very little steam escaped from the dryer. I pulled the drawer out very carefully and emptied out all of the water. I reenserted the drawer and turned on the dryer. Viola!! It not only worked, but it worked better than before!!


AMAZING!! It was probably engineered by Rolls Royce like everything else in Germany! It can be a challenge to operate even simple household appliances in another country. I think I have them all covered now: the dishwasher, the washing machine, AND now the dryer!

1 comment: