An American mom volunteered to come into one of the classrooms I work with to read the Thanksgiving Story and share pumpkin pie with the first graders. Only two in the class are American so this looked to be new information for most of them. I must admit, I also learned something new!
After reading the book (which was the traditional European version and I had to bite my tongue several times) the mom revealed to the kids that there were actually three ships that brought the Pilgrims to America. The first was the Mayflower as they just learned. But the other two (lesser known) ships that sailed with the Mayflower (I was leaning forward at this point) were the Pinta and the Santa Maria.
Hmmmm, the only explanation I have is that she lived in Norway for many years! She's obviously a little confused :)
Speaking of Thanksgiving - we hosted 16 people for dinner on Thursday evening and had a great time! The wife of another new teacher and I planned a potluck Thanksgiving dinner and invited all the teachers who went through orientation with us. We had a lot of food and good conversations - just what we are supposed to have for this holiday, right? It was especially nice for all the single teachers who couldn't be with their families.
1 comment:
To be fair, the mom who told about the three Pilgrim ships did come up to me this week a little embarrassed. She realized her mistake later and wanted to make sure to let me know :). Hey, it could happen to anyone, right?
Post a Comment