School was cancelled today due to heavy snowfall - AND it is still snowing! When we went to bed last night the previous snow had melted away and it was beginning to rain a bit. During the night it started snowing and is still coming down.
Of course, I'm working on school stuff - NOT! Murilo left this morning and I went upstairs to
visit the neighbors, with warm banana bread right out of the oven. I'm getting ready to go with them for Chinese food and then I'll hit the books and study German!
To update those who are interested - school is going much better for me. I changed my schedule around a bit so I'm teaching a language/literacy group 3x per week in addition to my daily new-to-English class. I also introduce word wall words every Monday morning to a group of 11 (native English, New ESL and Intermediate ESL combined). The rest of my time is push-in divided between three homeroom teachers. Right now with my new-to-English group I'm having them write a group Christmas story with me acting as scribe. Then, they will act it out using the finger puppets I bought. If I'm feeling real industrious I will record them using the iMovie software and share it at Friday assembly or in the students' homerooms. My language/literacy group is awesome - I get to do a lot of vocabulary work with the students which is helping them improve A LOT. I only have five in that group at the moment but I'd like to start working with another group of five - it's just hard to find a time when teachers will give up their students (which I completely understand)! I just have to say that I am having so much fun working with kids again!!! Yes, I've had to get used to new personalities (teachers and administrators) but it is working out. I know who to avoid and who can be trusted!
Jessica has officially switched back to 12th grade and will graduate June 13th. She is very happy about this decision as she was suffering from senioritis LAST year. She thought she'd try for the IB but after realizing what that means exactly AND realizing that American universities don't really care about it, she said - forget this! If trying to get into a prestigious U.S. college or university, then having the IB is definitely a deal maker. However, how many people do we know without the IB who managed to get into a fine university and have fulfilling lives? Jess finally made that connection and said, "I don't really want to work this hard for something I don't really need."
Well, it is STILL snowing but Zizou needs a walk. So, I'm bundling up and braving the cold and the snow.
2 comments:
Add a little more snow and that looks just like here in Alaska.
It is so pretty and peaceful.
Good to hear school is rocking your world. Tell Jessica that her experience in Germany alone will be a huge plus. Life is too short to work so hard you forget why you are doing it. Wait, who is speaking here??? :)
Lisbet
Post a Comment