Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
Miss Piggy
When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
Bernard Bailey

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

culture shock

It finally happened!  

Through a series of unfortunate events, I ended up in tears yesterday afternoon and again this morning.  However, it has all been sorted out.

1.  The Haus Meister of the apartment complex is totally pissed at us:
a.  I was walking Zizou around the play area of the apartment when we first arrived and he assumed I was letting him potty there.
b.  Our FIS contact gave me the wrong address (no big deal) and he has been freaking out about getting that corrected (thanks to Kristi and Steve it now has been).
c.  Our boxes arrived - addressed to the wrong address (see b. above) - and we thought he was going to have a stroke.
d.  Jessica received a letter yesterday (thank you so much Kim) and he didn't realize we had someone living with us with a different last name (apparently a big deal here).

2.  I was down to my last 10 Euros and couldn't find my bank card.  So, we had a hold put on the card and Jessica and I took the train downtown Oberursel to withdraw some money from the bank.  "Sorry, you are over 400 Euro overdrawn."  We were supposed to have all of our reimbursement money from our plane tickets and shipping deposited already!!  I was literally in tears as I left the bank.

In reflection, I think my emotional reaction to all of this stems from not being able to communicate with anyone directly - my strongest attribute. (I didn't mention getting chewed out in German by a lady because I took Zizou into the store - but, I had permission from a guy who worked there).  

Anyway, the money "issue" has been taken care of - they inadvertently deposited the money into Jessica's account (unbeknownst to her luckily :) and are working to transfer it to my account.  The issue with the Haus Meister is still pending - I'm hoping one of my English speaking neighbors will interpret for me.

We should have phone service by Monday or Tuesday and hopefully internet service will soon follow.  I'm tired of staying late at school to email and update AND I want to download some pictures!!

Love,

No comments: