My day started with meetings (all schools are really the same deep down). The focus of the first was how to make our staff meetings more effective (what should they include and what should be avoided). That theme was carried into our team meeting as we have team meeting time every week. After lunch I was able to come back to my room - still a pile of tables and chairs and a very unorganized book shelf (with binders of student ESL documentation from a couple of years ago). The other 1st grade ESL teacher is amazing! She is from Poland but speaks English (British style) perfectly. She is very knowledgeable about ESL and has some great ideas. I'm getting the impression she and the gal I'm replacing didn't work very closely together but, unless I discover something very annoying about her, want to change that. She started video taping one-on-one student conversations for parent conferences last spring. Simple to do with the Apple computer - she's going to show me how to do it! I will have approximately 30-35 students on my case load (complete beginner to intermediate) so this should be manageable.
Jessica spent the day baby sitting staff children. The school provides sitters for staff children during the two days of opening inservice and during late meetings. So, Jess is earning some money today and tomorrow - she's hoping this turns into an actual German work permit. As I explained to her, she has to start somewhere. She is still debating about whether or not to pursue soccer (football) or drama this fall. We found a great climbing gym in Frankfurt (on the web) and want to check it out.
Murilo is feeling better - allergies. He is putting together our IKEA purchases and preparing to return to work on Sunday.
Zizou continues to be our shining star and neighbor "get-to-know-you" tool. He is adapting well to his surroundings and is back on his 6am awake time (rather than the 2 and 3 am times).
Well, need to get going. The new teachers have a reception with the mayor of Oberursel in 1/2 an hour and I need to meet the group.
Love to all,
Cary
1 comment:
Keep the blogs coming, I enjoy reading about what you all are doing. I think my allergy attack turned into bronitis, I have had that too much over the years. So I will be recuperating for a few more days.
Love you -
Post a Comment